Monday, October 14, 2013

Day One


Today is the day I begin my one week food stamp challenge.   With all of our children grown and gone, it is just me and my wife.  My wife is a very strict vegetarian, I am not.  We already eat separately and rarely share food we purchase.  She buys hers and I buy mine.   When I committed to doing this, I thought it would be pretty easy.  When I go to the grocery store I always spend less than $30.00. 

I sat down last Friday to make a menu and soon panicked, I had only 5 days figured out with not much food each day and estimated it would cost $37.00--- over with two days to go.  I decided to write down what I ate last week.  What an epiphany!  I eat out a lot.  That is why I spend less than $30.00 at the grocery.   I have breakfast meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday.   My wife and I get pizza on Monday night delivered to us,   I often have meetings over lunch,  I eat with the children on Sunday nights, our staff usually orders food in on Wednesday for lunch.   Wow!!!

So now here it is on Monday morning I have a ton of questions to answer before I go shopping for the week.   One store in town has TV dinners for 88 cents, easy answer, but lo, I am a diabetic, not healthy enough, that option is out.  Do I get to go to many stores to purchase food?   A person receiving food stamps probably would not have that option.  Should I look at the ads in the newspaper?  Most receiving food stamps would not be able to afford a newspaper.    I also have to find time to go shopping. Ugg! I have a very full day.

Here is my plan.  I will work on a menu this morning and I will go to only one store.  I will not look at ads in paper or take coupons as most families would not have that luxury.  I will try to follow a diabetic diet and eat as healthy as possible.  For breakfast today I will eat two eggs that I have already.  I will figure the cost and take it off my budget.


This is my thoughts and plans yours may be different which is fine.  I know the families we serve and want to try to experience what they experience.      

No comments:

Post a Comment